Yes you read the title correct. I am posting yet another buffalo recipe. It’s not my fault. I am a buffalonian and anytime we can add hot sauce and blue cheese to a recipe we do. It’s law here. If you hate hot sauce and blue cheese then I am sorry but….if you love it, like me, THEN you will love this new Buffalo Chicken Chili recipe.
This Buffalo Chicken Chili recipe calls for chunks of chicken, beans, chili powder, cumin, paprika, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and hot sauce. The base of this recipe is much like a basic chili recipe. The only real difference is the addition of hot sauce. I found a ½ cup to be the perfect amount. If you are not used to hot sauce then start with ¼ cup and add more if you want it spicier. I should also say when I refer to hot sauce I mean Franks Hot Sauce. That is what we use in Buffalo so if you can find Franks use it. If not then use whatever hot sauce you prefer. However, keep in mind that not all hot sauce is created equal so pour with caution.
After the chili was done I sprinkled crumbled blue cheese on top, after I ladled it into a bowl. You must use the blue cheese. In my opinion this is what makes it “Buffalo”. Hot sauce + blue cheese = buffalo.
A lot of buffalo chicken recipes I looked at online called for ground chicken but for some reason that did not appeal to me. When I think of “buffalo” chicken I do not think of ground, I think of chunks or whole pieces. If you choose to use ground then you can substitute the whole chicken breast for 2lbs ground chicken.
We loved this recipe! It is so good and would be perfect to make for a Sunday football game. It also freezes perfectly so if you have leftovers then just freeze into individual portions for easy lunches or dinners.
Here are my other buffalo chicken recipes:
- 1 ½ - 2lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into medium to small chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can white kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans
- ½ cup Franks Hot Sauce
- blue cheese crumbles
- In a large dutch oven, or soup pot, heat up the olive oil and cook chicken until no longer pink.
- Add in the carrots, celery, garlic, and onion. Cook until onions are translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, paprika, and cook for about 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, red and white kidney beans, and hot sauce. Bring to a boil then simmer for 45 minutes to an hour or until carrots and celery are soft.
- Serve hot with 1 tablespoon blue cheese crumbles on top per serving.
This chili can be made completely ahead of time and frozen for future lunches or dinners.
Get Instant Access to My Best Meal Prep Tips & 20 Delicious Make-ahead Recipes!
Sign up now to receive your FREE ecookbook that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you!