Make-ahead Green Smoothie Freezer Kits

How to Make Your Own Smoothie Freezer Kit Creations

This is a guest post by my friend Paula.

I remember when OYS came to work and was raving over her Berry Divine Vanilla Smoothies. I remember the excitement in her face as if it were yesterday. You would have thought she just won the lottery. I tried to share in her excitement over this fantastic smoothie but the truth is, I have never been a big “smoothie” or even “milkshake” fan. I would drink them, but I didn’t want to go through the trouble of ever making them myself. As you can tell, if something involves a lot of ingredients, several appliances or more than a couple minutes to make, I feel as though it is too much work and you are going to have to sell me on why I should do it.

I think another reason why I was never too excited about shakes and smoothies is because I am somewhat sensitive to dairy products. I can eat them, but try to stay away from them as much as possible. I use Almond (Breeze) Milk at home and substitute it for any milk ingredients in recipes. I find the taste is the same (if not better?)

In the beginning…

Right before summer I set a few goals:

• Increase my water
  • Use myfitnesspal to track everything I ate & drank for at least a month
  • Increase my clean eating (and decrease my processed food intake)
  • Increase my daily servings of fruits & vegetables
  • Decrease my carb intake
  • Decrease my sugar intake (in foods and added)

I was already using myfitnesspal and had realized I was eating a lot of pre-packaged and processed foods, especially breads and pastas. I also really wanted to kick the sweet cravings that I was having. So I re-visited the smoothie idea with kind of a “juicing” concept in mind. I check out some recipes that included things like spinach, carrots and kale; but I wasn’t excited about drinking green goop or having to take apart the blender and wash it for that matter either. I mean I am lucky I can get out of bed without serious injury, and now I am going to operate what I define as “heavy and dangerous machinery” at some awful early hour in the morning when it is probably still dark out? Yes, that is right. I tried it…I did it…and I’m still alive to talk about it!

“Recipe”

So I am not OYS…but I have grown quite fond of my little smoothie creations. Here is how I prepare my breakfast smoothies. I buy, wash and cut all of the food ingredients. Then I assemble them into sandwich bags and put them in the freezer. I will make anywhere between 15-25 smoothie kits at a time.

I also include “dry” ingredients which I package into little snack bags and keep by the blender.

Smoothie Ingredients:

• Coconut Water
  • Omega 3 & Fish Oil
  • Coconut Milk
  • Almond Milk
  • Ice

Smoothie Freezer Kits #freezercooking

I usually pour a package of the dry ingredients and a package of the frozen food ingredients in the blender and then ½ – 1 cup of coconut water, 1-2 cups of cold water, a teaspoon of the Omega 3 & Fish Oil, and a teaspoon of organic vanilla extract. Blend for about a minute. *Sometimes I will add the water as it blends to help agitate the ingredients.

Here’s a quick video Tammy put together showing us how to prepare green smoothie freezer kits.

You can see my assistant helping me measure the dry ingredients in little cups before pouring them into the snack bags.

paulasmoothieelliot1

This is my dry ingredients packaged in snack bags. I also keep my dry ingredients and blender supplies in this small box that is next to the blender and easily accessible.

drysmoothie

Here is a great video by Lisa from Whole Foods who shows you how to put together your own DIY smoothie packs. It is a quick watch so check it out if you need more of a visual.

Tips & Tricks:

Frozen: I have found that if I freeze my smoothies and take them out the morning I make them, then I do not need to add ice (which I hate to do). My blender is very powerful and has a component to press down on the frozen ingredients so I defrosting is not an issue for me. Depending on your blender, this may not be possible in which case you may want to take it out of the freezer and put in the fridge the night before.

Blender: Also, I use a vitamix (pass-me-down from my grandma and I love it!) But the speed is so high that if the smoothies are just cool or fresh then by the time it has blended it tastes warm (yuk).

The good thing about the high speed is that when I empty the blender, I just have to rinse it and then fill it with water and a drop of dish soap and then blend it again. The vitamix is so powerful that it will simply clean itself (and I get to keep all my fingers 🙂 I also tested the magic bullet and an oster blender. Neither of which I liked for this. They didn’t provide the same power and simplicity that I get out of my vitamix.

Consistency: If you like it thicker, use less water. You can also add milk to thicken it up (coconut and/or almond). If you like yogurt you can add that as well. I prefer my smoothies to be more on the “thinner” side so I add about a cup of coconut water and 1-2 cups of cold water.

Sweet: If you would like your smoothies to be a little sweeter (probably the first few) I suggest including more and sweeter fruits and/or organic honey. I only used honey once and it was too sweet for me. I think the vanilla extract helps add a little sweetness and overall taste.

Calories: Calories may vary between 300-600, depending on how much you put in the smoothie. As you can see in the pictures, I do not use “full servings” for any of the ingredients. Also, you may not use all the ingredients I use (or you may use more) or you may split a smoothie between 2 people.

Make-Ahead: I also have been making my smoothies ahead of time and then drinking it over the course of 2 days. I will make a smoothie on Sunday night, then take it to work Monday morning and leave it in the fridge at work and finish it Tuesday morning. This way I am not blending every morning and cuts down on my hectic morning routines.

Good Stuff

Ever since I started making these smoothies, only good things have happened. Not like “magical” things, but I have an appreciation for the little rewards these smoothies give.

• I have more energy in the morning
  • I am not starting with carbs or a sugar high then crash
  • I can take it with me on the run
  • I get my fruits and vegetables in
  • When my husband is home it makes enough for 2 (although I can drink a whole one by myself)
  • And best of all…my little boy loves to be a part of the smoothing making process too! He calls it “Popeye Juice” (because it will make him tall and strong 😉

paulasmoothieelliot2

It’s easier than it looks…trust me. I would know! And the taste isn’t that bad! That was a concern of mine right up there with the entire blending process. This is coming from a girl who would sing “I hate V8”. 🙂

So what are your smoothie thoughts and experiences?

Get Back Into Those Skinny Jeans!

Subscribe to the FREE Organize Yourself Skinny email newsletter

Powered by ConvertKit

Comments

1. We love making green smoothies, but I didn’t know you could freeze things like celery and cucumber without having a goopy mess! Can’t wait to try–thank you for sharing this idea!

• Very welcome! My pleasure to test this out for you first! I can’t wait to hear what your experience is like. 🙂

• MarLynn says:

If the green flavor of a smoothie is too strong for you, add plain cocoa powder. It had no sugar, is good for you, and masks the flavor of even mature spinach. Yum! Morning chocolate!

• Karen Elledge says:

I am new to making theses smoothies. How much of the dry ingredients do you use? Or how much of the protein powder? I’m looking forward to make then.

• Hi Paula

you mentioned in your post that you had tried to do this with a nutribullet and it did not work as well as your vitamix, I have the nutribullet IQ, it is quite powerful, do you think that it would work with that.

Thanks

2. I love making healthy smoothies too, and for me it is a great way to get the veggies into my four year old without a huge meal-time battle. I use frozen carrots, zucchini, and fresh spinach for veg, and a cup of mixed fruit or sometimes whatever else we have laying around for fruit. Add some skim or almond milk, a splashof oj, and a bit of coconut extract and we are set!

• Hmm I will have to try zucchini and OJ. And you can never go wrong with coconut anything. Ever. 🙂 Do you freeze your smoothie ingredients too?

3. I love making smoothies for breakfast but I have never tried making a veggie smoothie, ever. There are so many ingredients and ingredients I’ve never cooked with before like chia seeds could you give a rough estimate of how much of the ingredients you add? Especially with the dry ingredients I have no idea how much of those I would add. I’d really like to try your smoothie but worry I’d make enough for 10 people. Thanks!

• Haha, Jenny is having a smoothie party! I will break down the dry ingredients for you and I plan on writing a follow up post about why the different ingredients are important (ex. chia seeds hold water like little sponges and keep you hydrated.) But check back in the next few days and I will reply here about the dry ingredients. I roughly use about 1/2 serving sizes for all dry ingredients. Good luck!

4. So, you can just freeze cucumber and carrots? I never knew. I want to juice, not make smoothies, but I should be able to cut up 2-3 days worth at a time

• Lydia, it has saved me so much time, energy and time!!! (My time is sooo precious! I can’t emphasize that enough!) I am also very impatient…and sometimes disorganized. So I found that by cutting up and freezing everything including the celery, cucumber, carrots and spinach/kale/arugula etc. that not only did it save me time…but I didn’t need to add ice!! (I don’t even have an ice cube tray…so if I didn’t have ice on hand, then I had to stick my smoothie in the fridge/freezer to make it nice and cool (if I was making it the morning of). Another tip that I will be writing about in a future/follow up post is that you could also divide up your ingredients and just freeze them in batches and make your own smoothies with variations as you so choose while making them. I also prep some of my chopping ahead of time (at various times) so I don’t have to prep, pack and freeze all in one day. Also, I am new to the smoothie world but some people suggested to me when I was looking for a blender to consider whether I wanted the “fiber-in” (smoothies) or “fiber-out” (juicers). I chose the “fiber in” because I felt juicing would be too much clean up (and because I got a free VitaMix from my grandma) which translates to: fiber-in method, by default. 🙂 Good luck!

• I do both. Smoothie & Juice. I mix Chia & or ground flax into my juice at end. My juicer is super quick & easy to clean. (Champion brand) My Ninja is strong blender for frozen. Thank you so much for all the great ideas.

• Fiber in is better for you when it comes to fruits, veggies you can get away without the fiber part. Be careful not to drink too much fruit juice. I love smoothies because you get all the benefits of the fruits and veggies without having to give up any of the nutrients.

5. how much of each fruit and veggie do you put in each bag?

• Great question, Kimberly! I use less than a serving for most of the ingredients. I usually add about 3 or 4 carrots, 2 “chunks” of cucumbers, celery & apples, a handful of blueberries and other fruits. I will use 1 bag/kit of food and 1 bag/kit of dry ingredients. But depending on how you want it to taste (sweetness, thickness, seeds, etc.) or look (greener or otherwise (kids?)) you may add more fruits than veggies. However, if you do make it sweeter, just remember that it is higher in sugar still. As for dry ingredients, I use about 1/2 servings. I will be writing a “sequal” to this post about the benefits of different ingredients and other “good-to-know” things I have learned (I say learned because I messed it up at some point. haha 🙂 Please tell me about your smoothie experience! Hope this helps!

• kathy emler says:

What is in your bag of dry ingredients? Do you use protein powder? What kind? If not, where do you get your protein from? Do you use 1 bag of food and 1 bag of ingredients for all 3 meals? What variations of food do you use? You listed carrots, cucumber, celery and apples and handful of blueberries. Do you ever use spinach or kale? Brand new to this. Husband bought me a nutri bullet. Never been out of the box. Don’t have a clue where or how to start. Your postings have helped a grat deal. Thank you. Hope to hear from you.

6. I am contemplating the whole clean eating thing. I am a little unsure about the whole smoothie thing. I could definitely use more veggies in my diet; however, I am not sure how satisfying drinking would be. I am a consistent breakfast eater. I eat a homemade egg sandwich every morning. Do you miss the sensation of chewing your meal to signal to your body that you are eating?

• Hi Kim,
      Sorry it took me a little while to reply to this. You bring up a good question- and I also shared in your hesitation about “drinking healthy smoothies”. What comes to mind first is that if you are happy with what you are doing- keep doing it! If you are interested in trying something new then this is something that I have found to work for me. I hope my tips and feedback are helpful if you choose to make smoothies. As for the chewing sensation, yes sometimes I want a different texture or to actually chew my breakfast. I still mix it up on occasion to satisfy those desires or sometimes I forget and/or don’t have time to make my smoothie so I have not abandoned actually “eating” breakfast rather changing what my regular habit is. What I was doing (drive throughs, greasy foods, carbs (bagels, muffins) or skipping breakfast all together) was NOT working for me 🙁 Mornings were a very very bad habit for me and was an area that definitely needed change. I hope this helped answer your question!! Please let me know if there is anything else I can help answer.

• Diane McQuay says:

Good answer! Some people say you need to chew something to activate your stomach acids in order to absorb the nutrients from your smoothie. Just pop a carrot (or whatever) in your mouth while making your smoothie and chew!

• i read somewhere that you should swish the liquid in your mouth to start the digestion process….just like chewing helps starts it…which i try to do…i’ve only now started drinking smoothies and when i dont have ingredients to make any i just feel … incomplete…lololol…sometimes its hard to remember to do it, cause when you are drinking something you dont usually do that…

• When I make my green smoothies, I also add 2 walnuts, 2 Brazil nuts, 1 Tbsp of pumpkin seeds, along with 1 Tbsp each of Chia, ground flax seeds, hemp seeds. After blending it in my oyster blender it still gives me little bits and pieces to chew on. I love that satisfying sensation and gets the digestive juices going!

• I found an amazing book called eat to live by fuhrman. I’m new to juice/ blender world but after reading this book I am set on eating healthier. I had just told my husband I needed a plan to follow but it would have to be simple. And I have enjoyed reading everyone’s comments. But if anyone hasn’t read eat to live I would highly recommend it to anyone who has struggled with weight and nutrition. Best wishes everyone 🙂

• Please tell me where I can received this book!

• Heather Adams says:

I borrowed it from the library. I’m sure they have it or you can get it at any book store. I’m starting this program Monday and I’m excited!! I’d love to have a group to talk to while I’m starting this journey. Let me know if any of you want to join an online accountability group.

• Love this book! It’s part of my Master Herbalist curriculum through the School of Natural Healing.

• Patty Cake says:

FYI: Even if you are drinking your breakfast as just a juice or smoothie with everything (fruit, veggies, protein power, etc.) I read that chewing the first few mouthfuls activates the stomach juices to help with digestion. Made sense to me, so I chew my smoothie in my mouth first, then swallow. Chewing is an important part of a healthy food process, as well as keeping the mouth muscles and jaw healthy. After a while it becomes automatic, like all GOOD HABITS! Be prepared to be healthier, lose weight, feel better & younger, have great skin, and sleep better! Did I make your day? I make my day, every day!

7. I have been making smoothies with my NurtiBullet for almost a year. I have a smoothie every day. I too use frozen fruits. I add carrots and spinach to mine too. Whatever I have on hand is what goes in. I always add 1 tbsp of flax seed and sometimes I add 1 tbsp of chia seeds. For a little creamer taste I add strawberry kiefer. My nutritionist also suggested that I had a protein powder to the smoothie to balance out the carbs. I love my smoothies. I see that I should be doing single serve bags that are ready to go so I don’t have to get everything out. Great idea! Here is a smoothie that I like for “dessert”. 8 oz of milk, 1 tbsp almond butter, 1 medium frozen banana, and 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder. Delicious!
    Thank you for your great posts!

8. I always drink mine within 20 minutes to get the live enzyme value of the food. Only thing I freeze if i have to is the fruit. I also never mix protein with mine first thing in the morning since I want the fruit and veggies to go in and out. Later in the morning I add the protein shake. Green smoothies are totally different. We also make our baggies for the week and store them in the spinach box!

9. Vicky McDaniel says:

I have been filling a huge bag with berries, greens, peppers, etc. and just dipping a cup into the mix to throw into the Vitamix. (Spinach, kale and other greens freeze well for smoothies–once they’re frozen, just scrunch them and they take up very little space.) When it’s smoothie time, I’ll add carrots, apples, celery, a tomato–whatever extra things I have and want to throw in, along with the liquid I use. Individual packets (“kits”) are initially more work, it seems, but they’re totally ready to go–great idea! The bag I put my mix into is a big bear-proof plastic bag I bought at REI–very effective at keeping the mixture fresh, since it is vaporproof.

10. I have been making smoothies for a year now and love them! Thanks for the idea of making them ahead in the bag! Great idea. I have a Ninja I bought last January with my birthday money and it works well for me…In addition to the traditional pitcher it has the individual containers which I use most often. I’ve also added yogurt to my smoothies too. I’ve tried plain and vanilla and have also used homemade yogurt as well. You can’t go wrong with these and you will be surprised at how good they taste…the carrots are actually sweet! Throw in some spinach and a pear or apple with some almond milk or coconut water. Very good! They are healthy and filling!

11. Can I blend the ingredients and then freeze them? I’m up and out of the house first and don’t want to run a blender to wake up the rest of the house. I know Dole makes a smoothie that you add a little bit of apple juice and then shake — just wondering if blending the ingredients and then freezing them in portions would work the same?

12. Would it work blending the ingredients and then freezing them in portions? I don’t want to run a blender in the morning when everyone else is asleep. Dole makes a smoothie that you add a little apple juice to and shake. Just wondering if blending first would have the same result?

• Lesley, I have the same concern as well, sometimes. I wrote about making smoothies the night before, and just keeping it in the fridge (in my smoothie FAQ post here: http://www.organizeyourselfskinny.com/2014/02/21/smoothie-faq-follow-up-questions-answered/)
      In doing this, yes, you will probably lose some of the nutrient content, but then I ask myself; “Self, what is the alternative?” and the answer is usually something not “as healthy”. So, sometimes the question is “what is the best decision for me at this moment?” And not, “What is the best and only way to drink a smoothie?” Because, if we were really our goal was truly to be getting the best of the best of the best all the time from everything, then we probably wouldn’t be here 🙂 But, I struggle, so I choose to take my chances with losing some of the nutrient values. Hope that helps! p.s. I will have to check out the Dole juice blender thing. 🙂 Thanks!

• Think about this, if you make the smoothie and then stick it in the freezer any liquid in the smoothie will now freeze too. What you will pull out of the freezer in the AM is a container shaped popsicle. It will be hard to drink on our way out the door. Take it to work and you will be able to have a slushie for lunch.

• Gail Wilson says:

This is what I do. I love the comment that it may not be ideal but it is better than the alternative. I make mine at night and freeze them in portions. You will think I am crazy but we actually put them in the microwave on very low power (60%) to start the thawing – not enough to heat it but just start the softening. We eat them slowly through the morning. Mine are also very thick and we add water to them at work. Everyone has to come up with their own process just as we each have our own recipes to work with our schedules and tastes. It is a far healthier breakfast than I used to get from a drive-thru.

• Diane McQuay says:

I keep a nutribullet at work and blend when I get there. The magic bullet is cheaper (around $39).

13. Love love love freezing my kits. I intially started doing it cause I’d buy more than I needed..then they’d spoil. But the time saved?? Priceless! Just got a vitamix…with frozen veggies/fruits..from start to the first sip to cleaning up area…2 minutes flat. You can beat that. I also used the nutribullet. It was good…but not as powerful. I’d take the fruits out at night for the morning.

14. Heather B says:

Very new to veggie morning smoothies. More like mom made them over holiday visit, loved drinking what she made; but with three kids under 7. Well, I rarely get breakfast, let alone acknowledging health benefits. I admit healthier needs to become a priority, but never easy just jumping straight in the river! Thanks for the pre pkg idea, have lost too many bags of fresh greens. I like knowing I’m not the only one impatient and “less work is better” for cooking!! 😉

15. But how much of each dry ingredients do you put in? Do you add a little of all of them or just vary them on different days?

• Can I ask you for how long this can be freeze? Love the idea not to make it every morning>
      I was doing smoothies every day for my husband. I’ll to start doing it for my daughter and me but sometimes is to much preaparation LOL
      TY

16. Thanks for the steps for making these frozen kits. I am all for doing whatever makes meal time easier. I now have smoothies as a snack or for dinner on the nights I get home late. That way I get to eat but it is not hard to digest and so won’t mess up my blood sugar numbers before bed.

17. I just read an article that some Chia seeds have been known to carry salmonella. Be careful with these! I love them too, but is don’t want anyone to get sick.

18. Would you mind sharing an example of the quantities you would put in each bag. Im not very good at guessing and if it turns out terrible I probably won`t try it again! lol! Thank you! 🙂

19. I enjoyed the post. What a great way to get the veggies in for the day. I see that I need the high speed blender. I’ve seen them at Costco for around $375.00. It looks like it will be worth the cost.

• Nila Calder says:

I just bought a Nutriblast by Magic Bullet. You can buy online but I got mine on sale at Kohl’s and I had a 30% off coupon! The Nutriblast also has a recipe book. Just started 2 days ago. I LOVE THEM! I even had some beet & broccoli in my this morning w/ berries I couldn’t even taste them.

20. christina says:

Which blenders are good for this? We need a new one. What do you have?

21. I make up my smoothies then put them in 500 ml canning jars and freeze them Take them out the night before and leave in the frig over night to defrost. I also make up a few salads in the 1L canning jars and they last about 4-5 days. I carry the dressing separate.

22. I love my green smoothies and find that it is easy to put the ingredients together the night before and blend in the morning. The taste changes if it sits over night. I divide mine into two or three servings that I drink throughout the day. Cuts down on snacks. My favorite is fresh kale, fresh spinach, fresh mustard greens, parsley, pineapple, frozen or fresh strawberries, frozen blue berries, OJ with pulp, vegan protein powder, flax seeds, cinnamon, ginger, cayenne pepper, tumeric, and water. I use a Vita Mix and they come out cold.I blend the greens and OJ first and then add the rest of the ingredients. Sometimes I add kiwi, cilantro, green apple, grapes, watermelon, raspberries, black berries, lemon, or lime. Depends on my mood. If it is too tart I add a few drops of agave syrup or vanilla powder. Love my smoothies.

23. Greek yogurt, banana, stevia, pumpkin seeds, kale, flax, protein powder, enzyme tablet. Will try your freezing suggestions thanks!

24. Just Jenn says:

I bought 95% of the stuff on your list but you never stated how much of each you use. As we all know, fresh anything can get expensive, so I don’t want to mess anything up. Thanks!

25. I don’t seem to be able to find how much of each ingredient this needs. I am a very literal being…any suggestions?

Thanks!
    anne

26. Paula Barkalow says:

I am wondering what fruits and veggies go together?

27. Just wondering….couldn’t you add the dry ingredients into the freezer bag?

28. Have you tried using silken tofu for the liquid? I would like to increase the protein without using pro powder.

29. I love healthy smoothies but I don’t have I Vitamix. So I use my Kitchen Ninja and blend a bit of bottled carrot juice with kale, parsley, spinach, mint, and ginger til the beggies are really juiced. Then I pour the mix into silicone ice cube trays and freeze them. Then pop the veggie cubes out and freeze in a bag. When I want a smoothie, I just use a couple of veggie cubes, frozen fruit, protein powder and almond milk or sparkling water. Yum!

30. Debbie Walker says:

Just found you on Pinterest and love your blog. I have a Nutri Bullet. Love fruit smoothies, but make them as I want. I love the idea of making kits. I’m curious as to how well some of the fruits and vegetables freeze? I’m thinking of bananas, kiwi, cantaloupe, apples, cucumbers, lettuce, kale, spinach, etc. I’m sure you get my drift. Do they turn brown and get mushy? Love the concept just curious before I try it. Food is too costly to waste.

• I guess I’m just wondering why everyone is so concerned about freezing things that are just going to be blended up in a blender anyway? Why worry if fruit will be wilty or gloppy, or mushy? they will be going into a blender FROZEN, and blended up! so it really doesn’t mater “how they will hold up being frozen”. Now,if you were going to THAW then and eat them whole, I could understand the concern, but not with what this article is about.

31. Brilliant!!!! Thank you!

32. Perhaps I missed this in the article, but what is the total measurement of dry ingredients you use in any one smoothie. I’m looking at several items, and don’t want to overdo it. Thanks, these look might tasty.

33. Do you drink these smoothies instead of eating a meal? If so do you even eat a meal? I’m obese and I want to loose badly. I need a diet that is healthy and that is going to fill me between meals. I am very limited right know in doing any walking due to me having to have knee surgery. I can do sitting exercises. Please if you can help that would be great.

34. Hello,

I tried this this morning for my first time with the exception of the protein powder and coconut water. The flavor was not very enjoyable for my daughter. Was wondering what flavor of protein powder you use? Thank you!

35. Gonna try this! thanks for sharing:)

36. can you tell me. Do you add all those ingredients into 1 smoothie.

37. This may have been mentioned before, though I have missed it. Can someone share with me the calorie count of one of these smoothies using a majority of the ingredients that are listed?

38. Jeana Squier says:

How do I know what fruits and veggies freeze well? I like oranges and bananas in my smoothies but I am not sure they freeze well. Do you have a reference point or a site that I can find out that information.
    Thank you!

39. Hi there,
    I was wondering if, since you are freezing the ingredients anyway, could you not freeze the dry products as well?
    I just got a Power Blender from Tupperware…it makes smoothies without using electricity which makes it amazing for roadtrips and dance competitions, etc. BUT if you can put EVERYTHING in it…that would be even more awesome. What are your thoughts.
    I would put in slimfast powder and flax seeds. What do you think?
    Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings,
    Caralee

PS…I had to laugh. You are so real and sound so much like me.

40. Deborah D says:

How much of the dry ingredients do you use in your smoothies?

41. Just made my first ever green smoothie this morning! I used a mix of baby kale and baby spinach (2 cups), frozen mixed berries (2 cups), 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil, vanilla protein powder (1 scoop) and Greek Yogurt (1/2 Cup). I added a bit of sugar free vanilla syrup and water to thin it enough for my blender to work, and it was really yummy!! I might use a bit less of the greens next time (at least until I get more used to it), but it’s kept me full all morning. I’m so excited to find this way to get more fruits and veggies back into my diet (particularly the veggies). Looking forward to making my smoothie kit stash as well. Hooray!

42. Marje Erasmus says:

Hi there, how do I print off the pages about the ingredients and methods etc that you have written up Just posted this to my FB page and people are asking how do you download the info print etc; =otherwise you have to keep going backonline to check stuff out. ASAP please need to get started ….!
    Thanks,
    Marje.

43. alexandra says:

I think this is a fabulous idea and I am going to do it right away. I love smooties but find when I’m in a rush it’s hard to think of different combos of smoothies so I don’t get board of the same thing. I’m a huge believer in meal prep but never though to do it like this. Also frozen fruit for smooties is so expensive so I’d rather do this. Thank you for sharing and I’ll let you know how it goes.

44. Do you freeze the green leafy veggies as well?

45. Brittany says:

You don’t give quantities of your frozen and dry ingredients. Can you email me these by chance?

• Hi there, I would also like quantities of the ingredients that go into these smoothies. Greatly appreciated.

Kel

46. can you freeze the avacado

47. Marilyn Mandakunis says:

I love smoothies in the morning. This is a great idea and I can’t wait to get started. Thank you so much for sharing.

48. Stephanie says:

I have tried this and love it!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

49. Very interested article and I like to make diff d ent smoothies. I enjoyed this site very well. Thanks for sharing. I will continue to watch for more.

50. Leela Lindgren says:

Do you have to have all of the dry ingredients? Or could you just use a few of them?

51. Hi thanks for sharing this. I tried freezing once and for some reason it got freezer burn. I used a zip lock baggie but it still got the freezer burn. What would you suggest. Also I’ve been thinking if I should be using the zip lock bags any more as well due to the plastic. What do you think about that issue? Do you really think the plastic zip lock bags give off fumes into the food? Thanks in advance for the advise. 😀

52. ok so I was always told you never mix protein powder and fruit when making a green smoothie.
    Mine consist of lots of greens and fruit with flax, chia seeds, maca powder, omega 3 oil etc. Any comments on this?

53. This is such a great idea! I didn’t know all of these veggies could be frozen. I always have the best intentions when I buy produce but either I get too busy or forget and end up wasting it – I hate that and feel terrible for wasting good food!

Do you have any recipes for these freezer kits? Obviously everyone’s taste is different, but if you had some basic combinations and amounts to start with then the excellent list you provided could be experimented with by adding or removing an ingredient. For example, in one freezer kit, the number of celery stalks, apples, kale leaves, etc. I apologize if I missed them, I looked around the site a little but didn’t see any.

Thanks again for such an awesome share! I can’t wait to try this!

54. APRIL MCCARTHY says:

HOW DO YOU KNOW ABOUT HOW MUCH FRUITS AND VEGGIES ARE IN YOUR BAG

• I use 1 cup fruit 1 cup veggies and 1 tablespoon chia seed. Then for liquid I use 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk and water till I get the consistency I want.

55. How do I know how much kale, spinach etc to freeze in one ziploc?

56. Barbara Bowman says:

All those plastic bags! There has to be a better way.

57. What ratio to you use the dry ingredients…? I have an abundance of kale in my garden right now and I thought I would make these kits for the freezer. Do you kind of have a recipe for the dry ingredients as well. Thanks and what a great idea. I love smoothies but don’t always have time before to through them together. This is the first time I’ve used kale in a smoothie. But I don’t usually put in much for dry ingredients and sometimes find it seems to be missing something…maybe it’s the dry ingredients that you have mentioned. 🙂

Trackbacks

1. […] benefits drinking smoothies and have become quite the smoothie believer. For now you can check out Paula’s post on smoothies for some great smoothie creation […]

2. […] Smoothie Kits – I can always depend on someone to help me pack the freezer bags, count how many we have made and transfer them from the counter to the freezer. Even when it is time to make the smoothies, I know someone will help dump the ingredients J […]

3. […] Say someone wanted you to make smoothie kits for them. You could buy the ingredients, make the kits, freeze them and then drop them off.  I […]

4. […] of my first and most popular posts was my “Smoothie Kit” post. I received a ton of questions and decided I would answer them all and add some more information […]

5. […] have never been a fan of milkshakes or smoothies, but for some reason I feel like I want a minty smoothie around St. Patrick’s day when I see the […]

6. […] This is another favorite way of mine to freeze kale. Smoothie kits are basically individual bags filled with your smoothie ingredients. When you are ready to make your smoothie you just dump the bag in your blender, add liquid, and blend. Smoothie kits are a great way to make sure you have all the ingredients you need for your smoothies. You don’t have to worry about running out of any ingredient – including kale – because it is all part of the kit. OYS writer Paula wrote a whole post of creating your own smoothie kits. […]

7. […] How To Make Your Own Freezer Smoothie Kit Creations […]

8. […] to put it together in the morning… Well, this is a great way to get organized to eat well. Smoothie Kit Creations by Tammy […]

9. […] make these the morning of. However, you can make smoothie freezer kits if you […]

10. […] Smoothie Kit Creations: http://www.organizeyourselfskinny.com/2013/11/13/smoothie-kit-creations/ […]

11. […] came across this How to Create Smoothie Kits post when I was researching how to freeze kale. It’s a great idea if you’re like me and try […]

12. […] came across this How to Create Smoothie Kits post when I was researching how to freeze kale. It’s a great idea if you’re like me and try […]

13. […] Homemade Smoothie Freezer Bags from Organize Yourself Skinny…. […]