How to Make, Freeze, and Reheat a Breakfast Sandwich: Basic Recipe

Yesterday when I got home from work I decided I was going to make turkey club wraps for dinner. Now I know that wasn’t on this week’s menu plan but we all know that menu plans don’t always go as planned. ;) Anyway, I figured since I was already making bacon, I would make all of it, and use some of the slices to put together my breakfast sandwiches for the week.

Doing so inspired me to put together another basic freezer cooking technique and recipe post for you. The first one, in case you missed it, was on freezing and reheating rice.

I like to make and freeze my breakfast sandwiches ahead of time because it helps keep my kitchen clean during the work week and it also gives me more time to enjoy the morning stress free. Well not completely stress free but it does reduce it. Not to mention the calories that I save by making my own breakfast sandwiches are substantial.

Fast Food vs. Homemade

A McDonald’s bacon, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwich has 420 calories, 23 grams of fat, 235mg of cholesterol, 1160mg of sodium, and 37g of carbs. Not to mention that all the ingredients are completely processed, filled with preservatives, and who knows what else. Yikes and that is just their basic sandwich!

Did you ever read the book Food Matters by Mark Bittman? If not you should. I did and it completely opened my eyes to processed food.

If you make that same sandwich at home (and I hope you do) with fresh nutritious ingredients you will end up with a breakfast sandwich that has roughly 295 calories, 26g of carbs, 16g of fat, 690mg of sodium. Big difference. You could even reduce the calories and fat even more and cut the the sodium in half by decreasing or eliminating the cheese.

You are in control! That is the best part of making your own breakfast. You know exactly what ingredients are being put into your body with no worries of mystery meat. Furthermore, I know it will taste much better than any fast food meal.

Let me show you how easy it is to make, freeze, and reheat a homemade delicious breakfast sandwich.

If you are looking for more freezer cooking recipes along with freezer cooking tips and techniques then I recommend checking out my favorite freezer cooking cookbook 30 Day Gourmet’s BIG Book of Freezer Cooking. You can see my complete review here.

How to Make a Basic Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich

Ingredients:

1 slice bacon

1 large egg

1 slice sharp american cheese

1 100 calorie high fiber English muffin (I use Thomas’)

**These ingredients make 1 sandwich. Increase the ingredients for the number of servings you want to make.

Directions:

Step 1. Cook bacon. You can either pan fry it or cook in the oven at 400 for 10 – 11 minutes or until desired crispiness.

Now admit it you are excited to see bacon on Skinny Mom’s Kitchen…right? Everything in moderation.

Step 2. Cook eggs. Break yoke and cook until set. You don’t have to break the yoke you could just cook them over hard. I used the griddle side of my indoor grill but you can easily use a pan.

Step 3. After you flip the eggs, cook for about 30 more seconds then add the cheese. Let sit for about 1 minute.

As you can see even with one slice of cheese that is more than enough. You can easily reduce the cheese on these sandwiches by half and not even notice the difference in taste.

Step 4. Place one egg with cheese with a slice of bacon in-between an untoasted english muffin.

How to Freeze a Breakfast Sandwich

Step 1. Once the sandwich is slightly cooled wrap tightly in plastic wrap.

Step 2. Place wrapped sandwiches in labeled freezer bag.

Who noticed that I spelled sandwich wrong? Oops.

How to Reheat a Frozen Breakfast Sandwich

To reheat your breakfast sandwich you can take it directly from the freezer unwrap the plastic wrap and then wrap loosely in a paper towel. Place in the microwave for 1 minute. Check sandwich and heat more if necessary. Be careful biting into it because with many items heated in the microwave there could be hot spots.

That’s it for preparing, freezing, and reheating your homemade breakfast sandwiches.

Now you can enjoy a homemade breakfast quickly and on the run every morning by taking only about 30 minutes on a Sunday to put these healthy sandwiches together.

Comments

1. DianeScraps says:

Love this idea! We will definitely be putting this on our ‘to do’ list!

• I love making sandwiches ahead and having for breakfast. One trick I have is to cook my eggs in the oven. I have a baking pan called a “muffin-top” pan that is very shallow and holds one egg per cup perfectly. It’s just like a muffin or cupcake baking pan only it holds less and makes the size of a muffin-top. It has 6 openings so is perfect for a package of 6 English muffins. Just break an egg in a small bowl stir it quickly with a fork, pour into the greased pan and repeat til all 6 holes are filled, bake for 10 min at 350 degrees. You could stir up all 6 at once, I just do them individually to make sure it’s evenly distributed. I also like to use pepper jack cheese to give it a little more kick. You could also use turkey sausage instead of bacon for a change. Sometimes I make homemade biscuits and do the same thing. They are lots better than store bought but with the same convenience.

2. OMGosh, how genius are you! I am a sucker for an Egg Mc Muffin, but how perfect for school. Tip….use precooked bacon and it would be even faster. I’m finding myself doing more things w/ the precooked kind that takes 10 seconds to crisp in the microwave! Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. See you again next week!

3. It’s like you’re reading my mind! I was just thinking about how I really needed to think of something quick but substantial for breakfast. Though I was just thinking they might be even better for lunch!! I can’t wait to try them. Thanks!

4. Great idea Tammy! I often have the ingredients for these in the fridge in the am but no energy or time to cook it. I am going for it. Plus I have an unhealthy attraction to Tim Horton’s biscuits. I can only suggest canadian bacon because it seems leaner. Thanks

5. Great Idea! I’m a dietitian and I work in a weight loss clinic assistent overweight veterans with their weight loss. Many of them live on fast food but this is a great alternative! I’ve been recommending that they scramble and microwave the egg for a sandwich to save time but preparing these ahead of time using this method may be even easier! I will have to share some of your tips! Keep them coming!

• Hi Kacie! Thanks so much for this comment. I am so happy this will be able to help your clients. I have a super easy bean and cheese burrito recipe coming soon that I think they will love.

6. do you think that it would work to reheat them using a panini maker or george forman grill? One of my favorite parts is the crunch of the english muffin and I’m wondering if there is a good way to make that happen with this freezer meal.

• Hi Amber! I think that would be a great way to make them. If you try it please let me know how it turns out and how long you cooked them for.

• Sherry Hyatte says:

This is exactly how I heat up my breakfast sandwichs. I bought a small GF grill; i defrost for about 30 sec in microwave and then onto the grill. I have been making versions of these for a long time, sometimes use canadian bacon, sometimes sausage patty, sometimes fry the egg, sometimes scramble, etc….the beauty of this is that you can change it up and not get bored w/ eating the same sandwich. Plus I save a ton by not stopping for an egg mcmuffin every am….

7. How come you don’t toast the English muffins before freezing?? Has anyone tried it?

• Hi Stacy! I am sure you can. The reason I don’t is simply time. I try to get these made as fast as possible and toasting them would take to long for me. However, now that I got my new toaster over I may give it a go. If you try it let me know how it works out.

8. These are a huge hit in my family! I shared a link to your recipe on my blog and Facebook page. I know my readers will love it as much as we have. Thanks for the great idea!

9. I toast and butter my muffins prior to assembling the sandwich. It reheats soft in the microwave but that is ok with me. I don’t like untoasted, dry english muffins. I skip the bacon though just to cut down on calories, although the butter might just cancel out any savings! :-) Thanks for sharing!

10. If I may make a suggestion? When I make burritos for the freezer, I wrap each one in a sheet of waxed paper and then put all of them into a freezer bag. When it is time to reheat they can be microwaved in the wax paper rather than transferring to a paper towel.

• Thank you so much! I am going to try this next time for sure. I never thought of that and this would for sure save me time and money. Thanks!

• However, whenever freezing, some excess moisture is involved when reheating. The paper towel also serves to absorb that extra moisture where the wax paper would repel it back into a soggy sandwich!!

11. Love all your tips! When it comes to the breakfast sammie (that is what we call them ;D ) I typically take ground turkey and make sausage patties – we dont eat pork – I make some with cheese and the whole egg and some with no cheese and just the egg white (for me) I have used 1T of light cream cheese on the toasted english muffin mine are 254 calories and great protein for after a morning workout. Keep the great tips coming I love learning new things and new ways to do old things!

12. I take them out of the freezer the night before. In the a.m. I toast the muffin and nuke the egg and bacon. Love that crunch! Can’t wait to make a bunch of these for the freezer this week!

13. Patricia W says:

I was so excited to try this as we love egg sandwiches at our house! I substituted canadian bacon. Unfortunately, reheating did not work for me. I heated it for 1 min, but it was watery and very chewy. The eggs were dry and so bland. So disappointing. :( Luckily, I only made 4.

• Patricia sorry this did not work for you. I made this with canadian bacon a week or so ago and had the same problem. It was super watery and chewy. Not sure why cause others have had success with it. I also found that whisking the eggs together then cooking them help alleviate the potential for rubberiness. As for bland I typically do not add salt or pepper to my eggs but you certainly could along with other spices to help with flavor. Thanks so much for this feedback.

• I have been doing this for years – store bought items have preservatives and additives to keep them dry. Moisture crystallizes in the muffin and soaks when heated. There’s two things you can do to fix that. Let the muffin sit out for a day and become slightly stale (don’t worry) then make your sandwich and freeze them. When you heat them up, soak a paper towel with water, squeeze most of it out, unravel and wrap the sandwich in the wet paper towel. This will steam the sandwich – restoring moisture in the muffin and preventing the eggs from becoming rubbery. You can also try LIGHTLY spreading butter on the muffin before freezing and using a little salt. Also, don’t melt the cheese on the eggs when you cook them, just place it on top as you make the sandwich. The microwave will melt the cheese later. Hope this helps!!

14. I made these this morning, thanks for the idea and I will be giving you a shout out on my blog when I post:)

15. Marcella says:

Such a great idea! I buy the pre-made frozen breakfast biscuits for my husband and although he likes them, they are SO expensive. Would this also work using buscuits instead of english muffins?

16. Great idea! I feel a bit silly not having thought of it! For a couple years I’ve been thinking about the best way to make healthy, yet filling, breakfast items. Cereal doesn’t work for me, I get hungry in an hour. I always noticed when I happened to get to go to McDonald’s or somewhere for breakfast it would last a lot longer because of the protein. Anyway, I had it in my head that I would have to have the individual fix-ins ready in the fridge, but this seemed like a lot of taken-up space and plastic containers. I gave up for a while, but now that I’m pregnant staying fuller longer and getting enough protein is much more important! Thanks so much for the idea! I haven’t made any yet, I’m just really excited about the idea of freezing. I have a tip for not using a paper towel everyday. It sounds gross, but it’s not. I use a clean washcloth to wrap/cover things when I microwave them. I have a big stack for just this purpose. Depending on what you’re covering you can use them a couple of time before washing. (These sammies will probably get them too cheesy to reuse, but that’s ok!) I wash without fabric softener…that just seems more food safe to me. Thanks again for the idea!

17. Hi there! What a great idea. I was just wondering if you could suggest a way to heat the sandwiches up without a microwave? Because I don’t have one. Could I defrost in the fridge overnight and then heat in the oven, or something? Any ideas would be great!

18. Great idea! I am pinning this right now to remember and share! I am always worried about reheating eggs in the microwave but this seemed to work great. Can’t wait to try.

19. Jim Lad says:

I just bought an Alto-Shaam holding oven for a coffee shop that I’ll be taking over and was wondering if these sandwiches would hold for a few hours without spoiling.
    I don’t mind throwing a panini on the grill but the thought of making breakfast sandwiches during the morning rush is a bit daunting.

20. Thank you so much for this great recipe! I love finding quick and easy breakfasts that are grab and go for me.

21. Thanks for the freezing & reheating tips! I use a slice of turkey bacon, whip an egg, fry, and pop them on a small croissant for my daughter every morning…@ 6am. Now I can make a batch, freeze and pop in the microwave…thanks!

22. Thank you for this article. It sounds as easy as I thought. Im going to try this. I hate the “diet” versions in the grocery stores. I HATE egg whites. I will be making mine with turkey bacon (oscar meyer is the best!) and either the english muffins like you did or the 100% whole wheat sandwich thins by arnold/oroweat.

23. I just came across your site and love the ideas. I know this post is old, but I had a question about the bacon. My husband and I are lovers of crispy bacon. How does the bacon reheat? I am wondering if it becomes chewy? Thank you for feedback!

24. I make frozen breakfast sandwiches for my husband all the time. I do 6 eggs at a time in my muffin top pan. I toast 3-4 english muffins at once in the toaster oven (they’ve always been fine when reheated). I throw bacon in the oven or sausage links in a pan and fry up. Bacon gets cut in 1/2 and he gets 2 slices per sandwich, sausage gets sliced down center the long way and he gets 1 per sandwich. My only thing I notice is the yolk texture is a little crumbly but that’s because I don’t hard cook them. I will try hard cooking them and see if that makes a difference instead of leaving the yolk slightly runny since it’s going to be frozen anyway.

25. I made these the other day (along with your freezer breakfast burritos) and they are such a great idea! It’s so easy to just freeze then heat the day of. I wanted to post a concern, though, because you say these are healthy, but they aren’t really that healthy…per sandwich, I used 1 English muffin, 1 slice turkey bacon, 1 over-easy egg, and 1 sprinkle of reduced fat mozzarella cheese and that came to 7 Weight Watchers points. It would have been MORE had I used cheddar, like you suggested (I only omitted that cuz I forgot to buy it, though). I love Starbucks breakfasts, and their reduced fat turkey bacon and egg white sandwich is 8 points, only one more than my modified version of this sandwich. I’m wondering if I’m doing it wrong, or it’s just healthIER than drive-thru, as opposed to actually being healthY. Any feedback would be appreciated! =)

• I would say that’s a pretty healthy meal – you have your carbs, your protein, and a little dairy. Plus making it yourself reduces how much sodium is in it (but there probably is lots of sodium in turkey bacon) . I used to do Weight Watchers and now I use MyFitnessPal app on my iPhone. I have noticed that I eat many more things that I would not have eaten while I was on Weight Watchers because they were high in points. I don’t know if it’s a mind game with me or not, but seeing 300 calories out of 1200 calories is better than 7 points out of 28 points, even though that’s 1/4 of my allowed food for the day.

26. Thanks so much for this suggestion! I made these today with whole wheat sandwich thins (100 cal), a folded slice of turkey bacon (25 cal) and a half slice of cheese each. I finished 14 in under an hour while making breakfast for the kids – I’m so happy to have two weeks+ of breakfast for me to grab before work!

27. I’m going to try these this weekend. They look delicious! I saw on Pinterest that you can actually bake eggs in muffin tins so they are just the right size to fit on English muffins!

28. Great recipe! I found your site while looking for a method of freezing & reheating my hubby’s favorite breakfast sammiches.
    My 5 minute sandwich is this:
    2 pieces of bread/biscuit/english muffin
    Place cheese on one piece & deli turkey on the other
    Toast both pieces in toaster oven about 3 min
    While bread is toasting break an egg or two into a greaseda dish shaped like the bread.
    Break yolks & stir if desired.
    Microwave on 50% power until set. (1-3 minutes depending on microwave)
    Then pile it all together & enjoy!!
    Yummy sandwich in 5 minutes with minimal clean-up :)

I’m going to make a bunch & freeze them for the mornings we’re pressed for time to get out the door by 5am.
    Thanks for your recipe & instructions!

29. Could you toast the English muffin before putting it all together and freezing it OR put it on a pannini press afterwards? Dry, untoasted English muffins don’t sound very appealing.

30. Elizabeth Ericson says:

Thanks so much for the idea, I love this. Eggs are my favorite food and this will be wonderful to grab in the morning and have when I get to the office! :)

31. I decided to make these since I was already making bacon for the mason jar cobb salads (how’s that for multi-tasking!). I used half the cheese – it was plenty. I can’t thank you enough for all your ideas!

32. Have you had any luck adding guacamole to your bfast sandwiches or burritos that you freeze?

• I just made up a batch of these, hope they turn out well! I added salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a few torn leaves of fresh spinach to the eggs, scrambled them, then divided the eggs onto the sandwiches.

If you don’t have a toaster oven, you can use the broiler in your oven. I put all 6 english muffins on the top rack, and broiled them on high. You have to watch them though because there’s about 5 seconds between perfect toasted and burnt :)

DO NOT freeze guacamole or avocado on your sandwiches or burritos. It will turn brown and the texture is awful. If you want avocado on them, heat the sandwich/burrito first, then add it fresh.

33. Stefanie says:

Thanks for this! I also do breakfast wraps! I use ham or sausage or bacon…a bunch of eggs, usually some shredded cheddar, wrap in a tortilla and then in Saran Wrap and freeze. I saw it in Pinterest and you can make a whole bunch at once. I also saw an idea where you cook an egg and spinach or peppers or whatever you want in muffin pans…then add to an English muffin and freeze. A great way to sneak in extra veggies!

34. Kendall says:

I haven’t attempted these but am going to give it a whirl seeing as how I will be working on getting a sleep loving little boy up for school this year …. But reading comments I saw people concerned about a plain, dry & untoasted English muffin. Would be not be possible to precook eggs and freeze them alone with cheese bacon etc and then while they rewarm in the micro throw an English muffin in the toaster? Adds 30sec to the mix between getting it our but makes it warm and toasty without the prep time from the proteins!!!! I don’t know if anyone has tried this or if it wouldn’t freeze well but it might be my first try method!!

Trackbacks

1. [...] = 'wpp-261'; var addthis_config = {"data_track_clickback":true}; Last week I showed you how to make, freeze, and reheat a basic breakfast sandwich. Today I want to talk about the same thing using pancakes. Pancakes are very easy to make, freeze, [...]

2. [...] Breakfast SandwichCoffee with 2 tablespoons creamer [...]

3. [...] proven to be essential on days when I am batch cooking for the freezer. Check out my pancakes and breakfast sandwiches all put together with the help of this indoor grill and [...]

4. [...] (typeof(addthis_share) == "undefined"){ addthis_share = [];}Last August, I put together my first homemade frozen breakfast sandwich. Since then my freezer has been stocked with them – can’t imagine my busy morning without [...]

5. [...] the summer I discovered we could freeze the breakfast sandwiches that we eat pretty much everyday. Since then our freezer has been stocked with bags of them. However, in the last couple weeks I [...]

6. [...] so this was partially for his benefit.  I used two recipes from Skinny Mom’s Kitchen, breakfast sandwiches and breakfast burritos.  They are healthier than hitting up the drive thru in the morning, but [...]

7. […] longer pink inside.Friday: I got the great idea on breakfast sandwiches from this great website: skinnymomskitchen. com Your imagination is all that limits your breakfast sandwich making. The best part is being able to […]

8. […] gallon size bags I use to group together and store individual package foods such as pancakes and breakfast sandwiches. I also use the gallon size bags for marinated chicken and […]

9. […] ideally include a lean protein, whole grains, fruit and/or veggies and low-fat dairy.  OYS has a great breakfast sandwich recipe.  If you still need something lighter, try a simple smoothie  to at least get something in your […]

10. […] made these wraps a couple Saturdays ago when I had bacon leftover from the  breakfast sandwiches I put together. It was close to lunchtime so my mind instantly went to club sandwiches.  My husband […]

11. […] How to Make, Freeze, and Reheat a Breakfast Sandwich … – This is exactly how I heat up my breakfast sandwichs. I bought a small GF grill; i defrost for about 30 sec in microwave and then onto the grill. […]

Share Your Thoughts